Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Costume Search

I love Halloween. It is one of my two favorite holidays, second only to Easter. I'm already making big preparations for the big day.
One of the preparations is spreading news around our neighborhood that we will have full-size candy bars this year. Last year, in our first year in the new house, we did not get a single trick-or-treater. This was very depressing, so I ate all the candy myself.
The other preparation is getting the kids properly outfitted.

  • If we have Jake this year, he has agreed to lay out in the yard in a mock-up coffin. We'll see if he continues to agree to that as the time draws nearer.

  • T will be Elmo. I got an Elmo costume on e-bay for 2.99 (that was including shipping...)!

  • This will be M's first Halloween. I chose a cute unisex firefighter costume for her.

Frank was mad. "I want her to be something really girly." he said.
Nothing seemed quite right. I looked and looked. I finally found a little pink Rock Star costume, complete with a guitar and microphone. I thought this seemed perfect.
"No." he said.
"What in the world do you want her to be?" I asked.
"You'll get mad." he said.
"I won't get mad." I said. How bad could it really be?
Frank wants his daughter to spend her first Halloween as a princess or a ballerina. He wants the most girly, frilly, and sparkling costume I can find for her.
I could not believe my ears. What happened to women's lib? What happened to us being cheapskates?

Here's what I found so far for 40 dollars. Look at the child. She even looks alarmed. She says, "But I wanted to be a firefighter! These shoes hurt!"


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be trick-or-treating in your neighborhood this year. Can I get a preview of what will be available? If there is more than one candy bar I like I will have multiple costumes for repeat visits.

That pink outfit looks itchy!

I hope you can find something that will make both of you happy. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Thus it begins - the complaint that one child was loved more than the other. #3 vs $??????. However, both are equally cute and will be equally enjoyed. Take pictures please!

Anonymous said...

Ok - $3 vs $???? - Ms Librarian.