Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooped up

It has been a goal of mine to raise some chickens for eggs, and eventually, ahem, meat. My Mom, who grew up poor, and therefore has many skills that I do not have, is going to help us with the latter.
The kids are old enough to fend for themselves now, or at least they can both walk... so I thought it was time to go ahead and get started with the chickens.

Step 1.

I ordered the coop. It, according to the seller's description, takes a half an hour and a screwdriver to assemble. I'll keep you posted.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I await your report. I think 30 minutes seems a little ambitious. But I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Anonymous said...

How many chickens is this supposed to hold?

AmandaH said...

2 big chickens or 3-4 bantams (mini-chickens). I'm getting 2 big chickens. I've also ordered a fenced area that is about 5 feet long. They'll be able to run around freely from the coop to the fenced area.