Saturday, August 15, 2009

Canning--I CAN.


Mom came over today to show me how to can our tomatoes. I'm gonna be honest with ya'; I really had some low expectations. I told Mom that if we just had one pint jar, then I would be very happy. I just want to learn the process. We had a few little baskets of tomatoes, and they very well may be the last of the year. The tomato plants were never braced enough, and they are enormous, and threatening to rip themselves out of the soil in their effort to overtake the world.
They are some big, big plants.
Anyway, we ended up with 7 pint jars. It wasn't too bad at all. We used the water bath canner. Mom had given me all the tools already, like the lifter thing shown in the picture. It lifts the jars out by the lips when you take them out of the boiling water.
I don't know if the lids have sealed properly yet. I haven't heard any popping noises, but there are other people in the house that make lots of noise and distract me from my little hobbies. Darn kids...
Actually, during the canning process they were pretty good kids. They both got a little jealous of all the attention that the tomatoes were getting and became clingy, each at different parts of the process. Taran carried the tomatoes to the sink for washing and Mardella ran around like a nut.
All in all, a good learning experience!

1 comment:

Momo said...

Did the next ones seal?