Wednesday, September 2, 2009

T school--First day was Aug. 26th

T has started preschool 5 days a week. The days are full days. This is a big change, because he has always been home with F two days a week.


I'll always get second-hand information, because F will be picking him up every day. F will get the scoop about the day first, and by the time I see T, he'll be onto something new and getting accurate information will be difficult.
However, the first day, before bed, he did manage to tell me that he cried at preschool. "I cried at preschool today Mommy." he said.
"I cried like this, waaaah, waaaah, waaaah. Like a baby."
That's all he said and then he laughed like a nut and went to bed.


On Monday I asked him what he had for lunch at preschool. He always tells about the same lunch no matter where he eats. It's wishful thinking.
"I had chips and crackers and dip."
MmHm.
To further my questioning, I asked him if he used a lunch tray at school. They supposedly have the preschoolers go through the cafeteria line just like the big kids.
"Yeah, I did use a tray. Sure I did Mommy."
MmHm.
I believed this about as much as I believed that he had "chips and crackers and dip" for lunch.
I asked him what color his lunch tray was.
"Ummm. It was kind of a golden brown color."

Well, that might be accurate then. It sounds like a pretty standard lunch tray color.


Yesterday was already some kind of teacher workshop day. For fun, I took the day off to spend with T. He got up in the morning and told me he was going to get his backpack.
I told him he wasn't going to preschool, that he was going to stay home with me for fun.
He still ran full speed ahead toward his hanging backpack--shouting back at me as he ran.
"OKAY MOMMY. THAT'S OKAY. I JUST HAVE SOMETHING IN THERE. I JUST HAVE SOMETHING INSIDE MY BACKPACK!"
He clambered up the little step stool and got his backpack down and proceeded to unzip all the pockets until he pulled out an apparently homemade chocolate chip cookie in a ziploc baggie.
MmHm.
"Where did you get that?" I said.
He ran downstairs to the kitchen table-again shouting back at me as he ran.
"UMMMM. I THINK MRS. ******* GAVE IT TO ME. I THINK SHE GAVE IT TO ME. I WAS CRYING AND THERE WAS A CAR AND THEN THE COOKIE. MY COOKIE."

What the heck does that even mean? I have so many questions and no answers. He "thinks" that the teacher gave him the cookie? Does she know she gave him the cookie or did he somehow stealthily take the cookie from her or from someone? Did she give him the cookie because he was crying? Did he cry to get the cookie? What does this all have to do with a car? How did he wait to eat the cookie all that long time? A whole night? Is he related to me?

Did I let him eat the cookie of unknown origin?

You bet I did.